Saturday 27 February 2010

My Space Blog!

I thought this was quite Relevant so I posted it =)

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Hip Hop is defo wifey but .....
Current mood: drained
Category: Music
I would say I'm a true Hip Hop fan; I was brought up on artists that had integrity, creativity, and most of all originality. But I don't feel that anymore Hip Hop is somewhat boring now I still listen to it but I don't vibe off it like I used to.

Then the Gore Hotel came into my social life asking me to play House

I don't know the first thing about house I thought, that's my brothers domain, he was always playing me masters at work, night crawlers, Joey Negro, and various other cuts so I knew a little but not a lot.

So I started to research, I was looking through the defected and subliminal websites and I started to get a feel for the music, I can mix with the best of them I grew up trying to copy Cash Money, Cutmaster Swift, Dj Scratch but it was taking my technical (Hip-Hop) abilities and trying to rock a house crowd which filled me with apprehension.

So I was there for a month feeling my way in not doing bad and not doing great either, and to make me even more nervous there's a bar man who worked at the gore by the name of Silver who was a real House fanatic he's lived in Chicago, Brazil Rio, and Miami (yeah why don't you live in every major house city why don't you) and could tell me every vocalist on all of my house tunes so I had to be on point which I wasn't not in his eyes and he was blatant enough to tell me so which helped.
When I got Silver moving and looking over in disbelief I knew I was getting there.
My pending holiday to Cyprus was coming up, and for me it was just a break in Ayia Napa with some friends I made over the years through football, I didn't expect the lesson I received while I was out there, before when I went in 2000 & 2001 it was at the height of the Garage scene which I followed quite loosely.
This time round in "06" Miss Moneypennys @ Bagleys and EZ at Ice were the highlights, electro and funky house pumping in the clubs really submersed me and there I fell in love with electro, soulful and funky house and with tunes in my head I knew I had to have in my box I was coming back a better student more knowledgeable. And ready for anyone even Silver.

So I'm back in London on the Thursday and I'm in the Gore on Friday and there's a visible improvement more and more familiar faces keep coming back for my sets management and staff are walking through more frequent to sample the vibe and Silver finally accepts me as one of his own but the progression doesn't stop there I'm due to go to, Birmingham to see Dj Karizma I know of him from the tracks I have of his, Mechouga and God made me funky remixes.

So I'm in red bar in Brum listening to some nice soulful house sets from the the days like this crew (Promoters of the night) and then Karizma arrives chills for a bit and then blends in his mix of days like this featuring Sean Escoffrey and the crowd go wild and from that moment on he has all of us in the palm of his hand he's transforming, cutting, scratching, using the cue button on the Pioneers like an instrument the guys truly amazing dropping Ame Rey with his SICK track Twist This and his track with Dennis Ferrer The Cube and then many sick blends and tracks after he ends his set with Bill Withers – Lovely day

His set showed me what's out there and what can be done, house is not as restrictive as I once thought you can really put yourself across in the your set whereas in hip hop I blatantly had a club bag I wouldn't pick up until I had a gig and my own personal taste stayed in my Vinyl cupboard that wouldn't see the light of day because MTV base has brainwashed the clubbing scene, I would love to drop sally's got a one track mind by diamond D but I think it might be wasted on today's crowd (Sadly).

KARIZMA YOU ARE A LEGEND – KEEP DOING WHAT YOU DO YOU'RE TRULY INSPIRING.

So I've got the Gore on lock, I've had offers to play in Dubai, UAE, and Holland (Amsterdam), Ireland (Dublin), Pangea, The Gore is good for networking, but most importantly Silvers now saying "What has happened to you, you wasn't mixing like this before, when you first came you were garbage, like what have you been doing practising in your every spare hour" funny guy.

So that's the story of me and House don't know where it's going to take me but I'm just gonna buckle up and enjoy the ride, I spoke to someone I haven't seen In a while who I I'm very close with and we were speaking about how my musical taste has changed and she said not to give up on Hip-Hop which she clearly thought I had, and she reminded me with artists like Slum Village, Foreign Exchange, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Frank n Dank, Lupe Fiasco, Little Brother, Common, Immortal Technique, The Roots, Saukretes, Saigon, there's clearly hope I just have to search a little harder to satisfy my cravings cus when I read the artist's I've just mentioned I actually don't feel that bad about Hip Hop anymore!

ONE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment